Consumer behavior psychology and store interior design
1.Consumer behavior and psychology of entering the store
Business psychology divides customers into three categories.
① Shoppers with a purpose. They have a purchase target before entering the store, so they have a focused gaze and clear footsteps.
② Selective shoppers who have a certain range of attention to products, but also pay attention to other products. They are slow, but their eyes are more focused.
③ purposeless visitors who go to the store without a certain goal, slow, unfocused gaze, irregular action.
The proportion of the three kinds of customers received by different stores varies. Named buying industries, for example, pharmacies receive many customers who are purposeful shoppers, and the interior layout should be functional first. Industries where customers choose to buy within a certain range such as stationery stores, food stores, etc. The design should focus on organization and order.
Compare the industries that choose to buy, such as fashion stores, jewelry stores, and toy stores. The design should make the space environment attractive. Mapping the customer action trajectory in different types of stores by tracking survey method can provide the basis for interior design. The mental activity of consumers when shopping is a combination of their own needs and objective influences. The goal of our research is the influence of external environmental stimuli on customers. The following are the eight stages of the psychological process of consumer buying activity;
Generally speaking, when consumers enter a store to shop, most of them go through the above series of psychological processes, although sometimes it is not so obvious. In store interior design, we should develop countermeasures for this series of psychological activities of the consumer, so that he can successfully realize the shopping action.
2.Cognitive process and visual psychology
From the above analysis, the beginning of a series of psychological processes is “attention”, which requires that the goods should have a certain intensity of stimulation in order to be perceived, according to the principles of visual psychology we can take the following countermeasures: 1.
(1) Enhance the contrast between goods and background. There are many kinds of visual information in the store, and people can only choose a few objects for recognition. According to the principle of visual psychology, the greater the difference between the object and the background, the easier it is to be perceived. It is easy to see objects with color on a colorless background, and easy to notice bright objects on a dark background.
For example, in interior design with dark colors and low lighting, while using floodlights to project light onto goods, so that customers’ eyes are attracted to the goods. Another example is light-colored goods with dark walls as a backdrop, while dark-colored goods with white shelves as a background are used to highlight the goods.
(2) Master the appropriate intensity of stimulation. In addition to highlighting merchandise. Advertising, neon lights, television, etc. are also used to attract customers. But stimulation beyond a certain limit will not work. The more the number of signs, the smaller the possibility of each piece of relative attention.
Overseas experiments have shown that the likelihood of attention decreases much faster than one would expect from a quantitative perspective alone. Adding a second sign does not reduce the likelihood of the first sign being noticed by half, while the effect of a third sign is much greater, and by the time fifteen signs have been added, the likelihood of a particular sign being noticed is much lower than fifteen-percent. Experiments have shown that the average person’s visual attention range is no more than seven, for example, presenting letters for a short time, the average person can only see about six, which is very useful for us to reasonably determine the number of commercial signs and advertisements, the number of groupings of counters and the range of space division in interior design.
3.Emotional psychology and buying action
After the consumer’s attention has been drawn to the product, a series of countermeasures must be taken to facilitate the successful realization of the purchase action. We can adopt the following techniques in interior design.
(1) Arouse interest. New and beautiful display and environmental design can make the products look more attractive. Foreign commercial buildings pay much attention to the diversity of display devices, often according to the product to design display devices, so that the characteristics of the product to be fully displayed.
(2) Induce association. The use of intuitive image of the use of goods to induce customers to use the association is very effective, such as children’s stores will be used by children’s bed, toys, etc. arranged in the form of a children’s room is much more vivid than the classification of the queue display, it makes the customer immersive. One of the famous post-modern architectural masterpieces, Vienna Opera Ring travel agency business hall, is also metaphorical and symbolic techniques to play a role in inducing consumers (members of the tour group) association.
(3) Evoke desire. Pay attention to the diversity of display devices, because beautiful display methods and environments are as attractive as, or even more attractive than, the goods, they make the fullest display of goods.
(4) Promote trust. This requires the style of interior design to match the characteristics of the merchandise. For example, a traditional style Chinese medicine store will make consumers trust more than a modern form of Chinese medicine store, while on the contrary a fashion store with a novel shape will be more competitive.
Architectural decoration elements and store interior design
The same goods, people tend to think that in a well-decorated store than in the night market stalls on the value of high. In the face of competition in the market, it is necessary to use the outstanding features of architectural decoration to win consumers. To this end, the following techniques can be used.
- Create a thematic context. In the interior design based on the characteristics of the goods to establish a theme, around it to form a set of interior decoration techniques to create a context, easy to give consumers a deep feeling and memory. For example, in the children’s animal toy store, the theme created by the designer is a paradise in the woods, with flannel animals climbing, lying and leaning on the trees, looking very lively and lovely. Such an interior space is plainly decorated, but the attraction to small customers is not weak at all.
- Repeat the mother theme. Some stores specializing in a certain brand-name products, often use the product logo for decoration, repeated in the door, wall decoration, display devices, packaging bags, to strengthen the impression of customers. Stores operating more varieties can also be a certain pattern for the mother theme repeatedly applied in the decoration, to deepen the memory of customers.
- Flexible change. Consumer trends are constantly changing, so the store should be able to adjust the layout at any time. Some foreign stores every week to make some adjustments, to give customers the impression of always new. For this reason, some flexible designs are also available in large numbers. For example, the ceiling of a bookstore is a grid-type track, and the display shelves are r-type wire shelves hung upside down from the track, which can be changed at will, and it is very convenient for the store owner to adjust.
Waker Associates of the United States designed a series of large shopping malls with high flexibility. Here the steel frame made up of standard parts becomes the main character of the space, and large advertisements, TV screens, product models, mannequins, etc. are installed on it. Because of the great flexibility of the steel shelves, they can be adjusted to different displays, providing consumers with stimulating and constantly changing information.
In short, without interfering with the goods, the careful use of various artificial decorative materials can not only make the interior design style distinctive, the characteristics of the store stand out, but also can play a good role in certain goods. In the era of increasingly fierce market competition, designers must use the above three points in order to provide a good basis for the store to win the competition.